Job Vacancy - IT Engineer and Data Scientist
Job Vacancy posted by: Weatherquest
Location: Enterprise Centre, University of East Anglia Campus, Norwich
Salary: £24,480 - £36,720
Weatherquest are excited to be appointing a full-time IT Engineer and Data Scientist, commencing summer 2020.
The IT Engineer and Data Scientist will be a key member in our team, helping the company maintain its routine IT operations while also supporting innovation in weather and climate services, ensuring the company remains on the front foot for years to come. The IT Engineer and Data Scientist will report directly to Weatherquest’s Chief Information Officer, Ian Gooch.
Specifically, the Weatherquest IT Engineer and Data Scientist will be responsible for the following two roles:
The IT Engineer component of the role includes:
• helping to maintain online and offline services
• liaising with other Weatherquest staff and customers on new design and build services
• participating in the out of hours IT support
• supporting the CIO on customer visits, as required
• participating in weekly IT review and planning meetings
• maintaining quality control of services to adhere to all company policies and procedures
• participating in monthly development evenings
The Data Scientist component of the role includes:
• liaising with Weatherquest’s Chief Communications Officer on the company’s forecast performance
• leading and advising Weatherquest on the company’s verification processes
• leading in the weekly forecaster meetings on matters relating to verification and forecast model performance
• leading at least two development evenings on research/verification
• attending key workshops and training seminars relating to new data products and processing techniques
We are also always interested to hear about the other skills and interests which our team members have which look beyond the main role description and which complement our existing team’s capacities.
About Weatherquest and the working environment
Formed in 2001, Weatherquest is an ISO-9001 accredited SME supplying business-to-business weather- and climate services. The company is headquartered in the Enterprise Centre on the University of East Anglia (UEA) Campus. We are a friendly and sociable team of 10 staff, primarily delivering support to the Energy, Food, Water, Transport and Media sectors, 7 days a week. We stand shoulder to shoulder with our clients to help them be safe and productive in their operations and to minimize impacts on the environment, providing an umbrella for their business. We strive to always provide Outstanding Customer Service.
The University of East Anglia campus provides a vibrant yet also beautiful environment in which to work, including outstanding green space, the popular UEA Sportspark facilities, including 50m swimming pool, and numerous food outlet options. Meanwhile the UEA Enterprise Centre provides kitchen facilities to tenant companies and also has its own café, all within an inspiring and multi-award-winning low carbon building.
Weatherquest support flexible working initiatives designed to promote a healthy work-life balance and offer a 25 day per year (pro-rata) annual leave allowance.
Application and recruitment process
For an informal discussion about this opportunity please contact Mr Ian Gooch, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The person specification for this post lists qualifications and/or experience that are essential and others which are desirable but not compulsory. Please note that if you are offered the position you will be asked to provide original certificates of professional qualifications. Please DO NOT provide these with your application.
If you are shortlisted for interview you will be asked to show original documentary evidence of permission to work in the UK in line with a list of acceptable documents which we will provide to shortlisted candidates when invited for interview. Please DO NOT provide this with your application.
You must be currently eligible to work in the UK
To apply for this vacancy, please send your CV and a Cover Letter explaining your interest in and suitability for the IT Engineer and Data Scientist position to: email@example.com
Or in writing to:
Mr Ian Gooch, Chief Information Officer, Weatherquest Ltd, Enterprise Centre, University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4-7TJ
We will continue to welcome applications until the position is filled.
In naming referees in your application, you are requested to give only those who can immediately be approached and one of these must be your current employer, or if not employed your most recent employer.
Please note that feedback will not normally be provided to those applicants who are not shortlisted for this post.
Successful shortlisted candidates may be notified of their interview times by telephone and/or email and it is therefore essential you include both of these in your application.
Title: IT Engineer and Data Scientist
• degree in computing science or equivalent experience
• able to work within a Linux environment using Python and Bash Scripting (please provide examples in your application)
• able to communicate effectively and clearly to other team members and key customers
• able to use specialised scientific software such as CDO, SciPy, R and IDL
• have a good understanding of file formats such as netCDF, grib and ASCII
• able to work under pressure and to tight operational deadlines
• able to share out of hours cover responsibilities
• familiar with GIS applications such as GDAL, QGIS
• experience in setup and experimentation with numerical weather prediction models (WRF)
• familiar with web coding, both for server side and client side applications
• interest in the Natural Environment