Job Vacancy - Test & Development Apprentice
Work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team of technicians in the Testing / Development group, providing technical support to develop, test and deliver Universal Jointing (UJ) and allied technology products to time, budget and quality.
Attend college on a part-time basis, in order to receive an approved qualification which is Mechanical or Electrical in nature.
- Follow Testing House / Development processes and ensure that work is well documented, ensuring that procedures relating to laboratory activities are current and clearly understood.
- To be aware of the principles of cable testing and have the knowledge to evaluate the results and information given by the Test House or other parties
- Understand and apply testing methodologies for destructive and non-destructive approaches, ensuring that appropriate control and evaluation takes place before, during, and after the test
- To be aware of the needs of all the test facility equipment and ensure that it is always available for use, by careful planned maintenance and calibration, and by sufficient familiarity with the intricacies of the operation of the equipment, to effect routine maintenance
- Carry out the practical aspects of product testing including preparation and installation of samples into the testing machinery during each phase of the testing specification, and readiness for return to the customer. In each case the highest quality of professional workmanship will be exercised
- To be familiar with the operation of jointing technology such as moulding, splicing, and cable preparation.
- Carry out specific qualification test providing detailed records for inclusion in Qualification Test Reports.
- Assist in the design and develop tools and equipment. To contribute to the effectiveness of tools and equipment through the application of technical and practical skills.
- Follow the cable services quality system and assist in maintaining ISO9001 registrations.
- Follow safe working practices and ensure compliance by others, including customers, and by using the appropriate persuasive skills to ensure safety is known to be paramount and acted upon accordingly
- Commitment to undertaking recognised Technical training and/or experience appropriate to the work involved in Universal jointing and allied technologies. This would be either Mechanical or Electrical in nature.
- Demonstrate ability to become conversant in the use of common and advanced laboratory equipment. Demonstrate practical skills both mechanical and in the handling of optical fibres.
- The ability to work on complex issues both in a team and individually, under pressure, within stringent safe working practices while upholding the required quality standards.
- Capability to become proficient in the use of tests associated with the work area.